For those who have dogs as pets, life revolves around them. Dogs are almost like kids who need to be taken care of in every possible manner and they love you back unconditionally for the care you shower on them. However, just food and training is not enough for dogs. They need a lot of other supplements in order for them to lead a healthy life.
Probiotic supplements work best for dogs if given with utmost care and regularity. Here are some tips and tricks for giving probiotic supplements to dogs in order to achieve the most out of them:
- You should prefer a probiotic that is in powder or a liquid form rather than tablets. Firstly, it is easier to mix the liquid or powder in the food so that the dog does not get averse to the food. Secondly, capsules have restricting benefits to the deeper parts of the GI tract.
- Probiotic supplements should generally be given to the dogs first thing in the morning, atleast 40 minutes before giving them their first meal. This is because it works best on empty stomach. Hydrochloric acid in empty stomach kills the good bacteria and with supplements at work, digesting food will not be a problem for your pet.
- You should take utmost care in storing the probiotic supplements. The good bacteria in supplements can die if they are not stored as per the label. Ideally all the dog supplements need to be refrigerated, but you should read the label before buying and storing it for you your dogs.
- You should take utmost care of the quality of probiotics. The quality plays vital role in building the health of the dog. Unlike other dog foods, poor quality and higher will not do the trick. Hence, before investing in probiotic supplements for the dog, you should take care of researching the best quality of probiotics for your pet.
- In case the pet is on antibiotic due to some illness, you must give them probiotic supplements along with the antibiotics. Antibiotics destroy the mucus lining of the gut and work on killing the good and bad bacteria simultaneously. So with regular dosage of probiotic supplements the health of the dog can be maintained at large.